
Photo: self portrait
"You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how." I think that is my favorite part of the movie. Don't recognize the quote? How about: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."?
Gone with the Wind is a classic American novel written by Margaret Mitchell (it is noted that it took her 10 years to write!). The setting is in Georgia during the Civil War and is about two main characters - Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler.
There has since been the follow up to the story; Scarlett (written by a different author), however, I am still pining over if I will ever watch/read it (I kinda like my ending I made up in my mind.). And just last year, someone wrote Rhett Butler's People, a novel just about Rhett before the Gone with the Wind saga, but I haven't read that either (but my mom has!).
Back to Gone with the Wind.........it of coarse was made into a movie, and back when I was much younger, was played on the tv networks of the time (that would be CBS, NBC, and ABC) once a year. My mom was fanatical about watching this and my sister and I probably wanted to get out of homework so badly we sat and watched as well.
Turns out this is one of my all time favorite movies. I must admit, however, I don't really start to enjoy it until Rhett steadily stays in the storyline, which is nearly half way through. And like many, I ended up having a crush on Clark Gable who plays Rhett. Sadly, The King of Hollywood, which was one of his nicknames, died from a heart attack at the age of 59.
Recently it's been reported that another movie I consider a classic of its time, Footloose, is being remade and released in movie theaters. I am disappointed in this, and doubt I will ever willfully watch the remake. Some movies, in my opinion, should not be remade. This would also qualify Gone with the Wind. Although if this movie was to be remade, this is whom I came up with as far as the list of actors:
Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh) - Angelina Jolie
Rhett Butler (Clark Gabel) - George Clooney - although I am open to other suggestions.
Ashley (Leslie Howard) - Josh Lucas
Melanie (Olivia de Havilland) - Charlize Theron
Mammy (Hattie McDaniel) - Oprah Winfrey
My top 10 movies of all times:
1. Gone with the Wind
2. Footloose
3. The Color Purple
4. Grease
5. Sweet Home Alabama
6. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
7. Walk the Line (Johnny Cash)
8. Thelma & Louise
9. Dirty Dancing
10. Sixteen Candles


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.