Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Prayer (meditation) Bead Making



I have a short attention span when it comes to crafting, this is why I don't do needle point or scrap booking (anymore). I don't own a sewing machine, and I can barely hand sew on a button to much disgrace from my mother, whom has been a seamstress for the last 40+ years. I would like, however, to learn how to knit. It's one of those things I wish I had paid more attention to when my g'ma was doing it when growing up. I attempted to learn via a "how to" book but couldn't figure out how to make the loop back around so gave up. I may sign up for a class at the local crafting store at some point? I hope they are good with teaching lefty techniques and have a whole lotta patience!

I usually just stick to less time consuming crafts. For one Christmas, I hand stamped then embossed stationary tied in a ribbon for family. Another I did prayer beads. Beading is fun, but can be very expensive especially for the more unique looking beads, which of coarse I love! I purchased a book: A String & A Prayer by Eleanor Wiley and Maggie Oman Shannon that has oodles of information in it including; the history of prayer beads (also used for meditation), importance of the number of beads, the importance of the color of the beads, and how-to's. If I ever got a serious collection of beads going, I feel pretty confident I could start making jewelry as well, because I already have the crimpers, needle nose, and wire cutter tools, but then there are other projects that distract me (like my photo alphabet).



P.S. If you are a crafter as well, check out The Girl Indie Blog!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.