
Photo: Gma meeting country singer Charlie Pride this past August
I called my ma last night to chit-chat. When she answered she sounded worried, turns out my gma was ill and they were preparing to transfer her from the nursing home to the ER due to severe stomach pains. My grandmother was diagnosed with having a allergy to gluten last February, and once they started to change her diet, she seemed to feel much better. When I spoke to ma this morning, they had admitted gma for observation but they are pretty sure she may have gotten her hands on something with gluten in it, which caused the stomach pain. They expect her to be released after the 24 hour observation as long as she had no other problems.
Thanksgiving is just a few days away and I already had taken this into consideration for my contribution dish for dinner. I have two diabetics, one gluten free, and one vegan in the family and I wanted to make sure each of them could enjoy it. I came up with an oriental salad (recipe courtesy of one of my teammates at work).
Here is the recipe:
Oriental Salad
SALAD: one head of romaine lettuce and one head of broccoli florets.
DRESSING: In a seasoning kraft - fill vinegard line w/apple cider vinegar, fill up to water line with soy sauce, then add 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar (or substitute) and shake well. Add canola oil and shake again. *Read the ingredient listing on the soy sauce as some have gluten (ie: wheat) in them.*
SALAD CRUNCHIES: 2 pkg of Ramen (rice noodle version for a gluten free recipe) Noodles (hammer to break up). -DO NOT use the seasoning pack.- 1 pkg of silver almonds. 1/2 cup dry roasted sunflower seeds. 1/2 cup butter.
Mix in pan over heat. Keep stirring (this mixture will burn easily) for several minutes to brown.
TOSS: toss salad, salad crunchies, and some dressing well directly before serving.
For more information on gluten-free diets go click here.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.