
It's time to make my monthly stash of homemade mouthwash. I make my own mouthwash because the crap on the shelves at the grocery store are full of toxic ingredients, and the homeopathic stuff at the health food store are far too pricey.
I found a recipe for tea tree mouthwash about a year ago when I was looking for something to help the pain I was getting from receding gums. Most have heard what receding gums are, but some do not know what causes them:
Dental braces (<~ me!) smoking clenching teeth brushing too hard (<~ me!) lack of dental hygiene/floss Between swooshing my mouth with tea tree mouthwash and switching to a Sonicare rechargeable toothbrush I have no more discomfort from my receding gums. Here is the actual recipe I found on the web (there are many different versions out there including with lemon oil): 1/4 cup of distilled water to 4 drops of tea tree oil & 3-4 drops of peppermint oil. Just like regular mouthwash, DO NOT SWALLOW. (if you usually don't use mouthwash you can purchase toothpaste with tea tree in it at health food stores.) I make a bigger batch so I don't have to make it as often. My recipe calls for approximately 10 drops of tea tree oil and 6-8 drops of peppermint oil to a full amber bottle of distilled water. (I use a old cold medicine measuring cup to sip out of.) It costs me pennies to make this mixture in two bottles that last me nearly a month. Happy brushing! LL One of my favorite "green" websites
20 Great Ways to Use Tea Tree Oil


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.