
Historic District - Savannah, GA
It is a new year and mine started off with a new adventure as well. I hit the road for Savannah, GA no later then 6:30am on New Years Day to beat the football tailgating traffic I was concerned I was going to hit if I waited any longer. So before the crack of dawn, I headed out pullin' a Thelma & Louise without the Thelma.....and well without the dying at the end part. (Thelma had to back out from the trip a few days before)

Bonaventure Cemetery

Bonaventure Cemetery
Other then the rain that was slowing up traffic on the Interstate things went pretty well. My first stop was the Bonaventure Cemetery because I figured after that stop, I wouldn't need a car for the rest of the weekend, since everything else was within walking distance. It was gray and chilly with a few raindrops here and there. I ended up staying for nearly 4 hours taking in the absolute beauty of this place. It was only the last 30 minutes or so when the sun popped out and warmed things up a bit. Before leaving, I ate lunch at Conrad Aiken's tombstone, but I had a Diet Dr. Pepper instead of martini. (A hot chocolate spiked with Doc McGillcuddy would have been much better though. :p)
I did hear some chatter & laughing but I am fairly certain it was not any ghost from any dinner party rather some visitors from up north. (Shout out to M&M!!!) A couple things one must know about the historic district of Savannah: one is that they have a crapload of one-way streets the second being their parking sucks. Although I did get turned around a time or two due to the one-ways, I lucked out on the latter because after checking in, I found out that I was going to save mucho $ because the city was not charging for parking meters the entire holiday weekend! WHOOP! The hotel room was nicer then my apartment and even had an IPod docking station...and still does because I figured if I swiped it, they would charge me double it's value. ;O) I finished the day by walking around the historic district being complimented by men and women alike on my supa-fabulous boots.
One thing you should know about me if you ever go on holiday with me is that I wake up insanely early for being on vacation. Whether it's the bed, the pillows, or whatever, I just wake up early. I didn't have too much time to wait before it started to get lighter out before starting on my trek around the vintage shops and touristy sights. I have to say that River Walk is waaay over rated, it's just a bunch of unworthy souvenir shops (minus the Peanut Shop which was pretty awesome to pick up GA pecans, jams, and "Good & Evil" pickles.), but it was cool to see people playing their instruments and singing on the water front.
I saw the Waving Girl of Savannah, sat at the park where they shot the bus scene from Forest Gump (although there is no bus stop there.....goooo Hollywood!), and took photos of the Mercer House which is rich with history but most notably known for the book: Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil. The only thing I didn't see up close was the Garden Girl who appeared on the book cover since they moved her from the Bonaventure Cemetery to the Telfair Academy of Arts. The TAA was not far from my hotel, however, they would not allow cameras so I didn't give them my fifteen bucks.
I left bright and early this morning because I did everything I wanted to do yesterday and wasn't really looking forward to the 4.5 hour drive back. So here I sits looking through my photos from the weekend and catching up on emails and blogging. I hope you all had a great holiday weekend as well!!
P.S. My new year "goal" is: a little less talk and a little more action. So far so good...........





No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.