Tuesday, May 4, 2010

LEAPING LIZARDS

Miss B

Living in the south you will usually find yourself chasing after a little lizard (gecko, chameleon, etc) through your home or work from time to time. It is just the way it is. This is one of the reasons why I chose to live on the second floor of an apartment complex, however, I still occasionally will find the miniature reptiles in my space.

Yes, they are harmless, however, they are icky and obviously I don't want them making themselves cozy in my air conditioned casa. The first lizard I chased was a chameleon. He had made it all the way to my bathroom and scared the bejesus out of me when I stepped out of the shower. I attempted to catch him with the help of a small garbage can. My intention was to get him in the can and toss him back out to his space outside, but unfortunately in my panic I squashed him dead with the lip of the can. RIP little fella.

The next assassination, I mean attempted rescue, was when I turned on the kitchen light and saw a gecko stuck to one of my dinner plates sitting on the dish rack. I carefully took the plate and placed a jelly jar over him then walked to the front door. Since I needed a hand to open the door I tried to balance the plate & jar to the wall when the plate crashed to the floor breaking and the gecko scurried under a cabinet. Stumped on how to get him out from under there, I thought I could use my vacuum cleaner (since is bag less) to suck him up and put him back outside. He was still alive when I took the canister off the vacuum, however, when I tossed him out on the foyer, I apparently used too much gusto and he tumbled over the top of the stair case and fell 12 feet to his death. Sorry buddy.

So today when a fellow teammate at work casually asked: "is somebody going to catch the lizard running across the floor?" I did not raise my hand. I didn't have a jar to help in the capture and I certainly was not going to use my bare hands, so I stood silent in a dramatic pause hoping someone else was up for the challenge. It was Miss B who stepped up to the plate and captured the unwelcomed guest and helped him back outside.

May you live a long and healthy life kid, but if you make you way back into the office, I make no guarantees you'll be so lucky next time.

5 comments:

  1. I live in a rural area and we have lots of lizards. Occasionally, they get in the house and then I panic to save it before the cat gets it. I don't mind lizards at all. I think they're cute, especially the baby ones. Once a snake got in. That's was a whole different story. I also do the plastic container over the top and sliding the cardboard underneath. Works well for mice and spiders, too. Aren't you just dying to come visit me now? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snakes? I'd have have to sleep in my car until animal control arrived. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. What part of the south are you in? We don't have lizards in Tennessee. We have other gross stuff though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't live in an area where lizards roam, but I do see my fair share of spiders. I hate spiders and I hate to kill them. But, I'd rather kill them than see them in my house.

    Isn't it crazy how such a tiny thing can cause so much fear??

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.