Monday, December 21, 2009

RIGHTY TIGHTY LEFTY LOOSEY



Let's just put this out there.....I hate depending on others for...well...pretty much anything. Maybe it's because I don't want to put anyone out or I don't want to feel the pang of disappointment when they fail me, either way it's something I avoid if at all possible. Unless of coarse, I am asking to be taught so I can learn.

Back in my late teens I was determined to figure out how to change my own oil on my car. I asked my boyfriend to instruct me how to do this without any hands on help from him. As I rolled under the car on the creeper he and his cousin cracked a few beers. First, I was to unscrew the oil filter from underneath the car. "Just remember: righty tighty lefty loosey babe." Thing 1 yells out as Thing 2 giggles between gulps of brew.

I start to loosen the filter and hot oil runs down my arm. Nice. I let it drain while looking around underneath trying to figure out what was what. When the time came, I put a small amount of oil on my finger and ran it around the top of the new filter before putting it back in place. As I start to roll out from underneath the car, my butt length hair that was in a pony tail gets caught up in the wheels of the creeper...so tight I can not stand up. Note to self: wear a bun or braid while working on cars.

This amused Thing 1 and Thing 2 greatly and neither one were very quick at helping me get untangled, but once they did I finished the job. I never have changed my oil since, but at least I can say I did it!

Current day: My front headlight burned out. I purchase the new bulb at a local auto parts store but when I popped the hood I saw that there is a bar running across where my fingers need to go to get to the burnt bulb. I go back in and ask for a wrench. They think I am stupid. "You don't need any tools, just unscrew the bulb and snap the new one into place." I am immediately annoyed. I come across another employee and hope for better results. I ask him for a wrench. He looks like I asked for a million dollars. He too, insists, I need no tools to do this task.

I point him to my vehcile. He walks over and looks under the already popped hood. "Oh. Gee. I guess you will need a wrench to loosen these bolts and then you can change out the bulb." "You don't say?" I respond sarcastically. I had to come to see this was a lost cause but damned if I was going to give this place anymore of my money knowing very well they could have borrowed me a wrench (or if they were sooooo worried I was going to steal it, then loosen/retighten the bolts for me!).

So I went over to a teammates to borrow one of her husband's wrenches...well truth be told he actually changed the bulb as I watched not that I asked him too. He just walked out of his garage and started doing it, but at least I can say I know how to do it!

Lesson learned here? I need a set of my own wrenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.