Monday, July 13, 2009

A Country Girl Will Survive


Photo: Ringsaker Church by BJS 2009
The original Ringsaker (pronounced Ring-socker) Lutheran church was built 1891, however, a tornado in 1902 destroyed the structure. A completely new church under the same name was built in 1918. This church is a few miles east of the old family farmstead, although I don't know all the history we share other then my big brother, Chad (born/died on October 1st, 1966), grandparents, and other family is buried at the (North) Ringsaker Cemetery. This cemetery is located a mile down the gravel road from Ringsaker; not the cemetery behind the actual church.

Frog Point (whose history lies with Canadian immigrants and fur trading) is an area that lies next to the River River on the North Dakota side behind this church as well. It is cleverly hidden from the road and is an area with park shelters for family reunions, weddings, and other gatherings. And just on the other side of the river is Climax (MN), where my parents owned The Corner Bar, a grocery store, and mobile home park. This was of coarse before I was born. By the time I came along, my ma worked in the fields on the potato harvesters and Tim was a insurance agent. I only lived in the country until I was four, then my parents divorced, and we (ma, sister, and I) moved into town, but my roots lie out there.
There is some great irony in all that. Once we moved into town, we lived in a mobile home park and I was called "white trash" by my bestfriend's mother. She was not allowed to come play at my home until we much older, when her mom seemed to relax alittle bit. In my late teens I started to date a farm boy (whom I later married/divorced) from north of town, and his friends never really accepted me since I was a "city girl". Sometimes you just can't win (even if you weren't a willing participant in the game in the first place).

Anyhoos.......one of my patient's recently sent me an email of a photo slide-show of churches around the world. This then made me think of Ringsacker. I asked my sister to take a photo of the church for me as I am half way across the country from there now. Lucky for me, she and my mother attended a renewed vow ceremony there Saturday night so I got lots!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.