
Photo: Wild Bill Hickok - credit google images
In the fall of 1876, Wild Bill Hickok was playing cards in the Saloon #10 when he was shot in the back of the head. At the time of his death, Hickok was holding a pair of black aces and a pair of eights, and this became known as "A Dead Man's Hand".
I spent two New Years Eves in a row in Deadwood, South Dakota a few years back. The other two options were going to house parties or into Rapid City, and it just seemed everyone was going up in the hills to freeze their butts off waiting in line to get into the saloons, so I might as well joined them.
The first year I spent the evening with my friends in the Saloon #10 drinking, socializing, and watching folks play their hands at poker. The second year was spent at a private party at a local biker chapter building hosted by some friends. Both years I slipped and slid down the sidewalks in high heels with my teeth chattering to watch the Deadwood ball come down at midnight. Other then that, I was never a big fan of Deadwood. The parking was usually a nightmare and I am not much of a gambler.
The Saloon #10 was (is) one of the favorite saloons in Deadwood by the clan I was associated with. Although from what I understand, the original Saloon #10 was further up the street then where it is currently located now, and is mostly known for Wild Bill Hickok's murder. Wild Bill was many things back in his day. He was a scout for the Union Army, a guide on the Santa Fe Trail, Marshall, Sheriff, toured with the Wild West Show, credited for 100 or more deaths of badmen, and a noted gambler.
The first year I spent the evening with my friends in the Saloon #10 drinking, socializing, and watching folks play their hands at poker. The second year was spent at a private party at a local biker chapter building hosted by some friends. Both years I slipped and slid down the sidewalks in high heels with my teeth chattering to watch the Deadwood ball come down at midnight. Other then that, I was never a big fan of Deadwood. The parking was usually a nightmare and I am not much of a gambler.
The Saloon #10 was (is) one of the favorite saloons in Deadwood by the clan I was associated with. Although from what I understand, the original Saloon #10 was further up the street then where it is currently located now, and is mostly known for Wild Bill Hickok's murder. Wild Bill was many things back in his day. He was a scout for the Union Army, a guide on the Santa Fe Trail, Marshall, Sheriff, toured with the Wild West Show, credited for 100 or more deaths of badmen, and a noted gambler.
In the fall of 1876, Wild Bill Hickok was playing cards in the Saloon #10 when he was shot in the back of the head. At the time of his death, Hickok was holding a pair of black aces and a pair of eights, and this became known as "A Dead Man's Hand".
And there you have a bit of history for the day! :O)


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.