Saturday, July 25, 2009

Tell A Story


PHOTO: RUNAWAY TRAIN 2009




About a week ago, I was making small talk at work with a fellow teammate. She had asked if I had taken any new photos lately and I responded that I had. I also mentioned that a gentleman who was a photographer himself, and whom had won noted awards for some of his photographs, had seen them and commented that I had a "definite style" and a "good eye" for the craft. "Well yours aren't award winning!" She snorted in response.


What she failed to recognize is that my photographs are not intended for National Geographic or Life magazine (assuming that is her definition of a award winning photograph?). I am merely an amateur who has one basic photography course under her belt, a Canon EOS Rebel XT 350, and one who looks at things differently (I am a Gemini after all!). I like my photographs to merely be thought provoking to the viewer and myself. It's a hobby. Nothing more, nothing less.


For example, the train tracks in the above photo first remind me of two things: the song Runaway Train by Soul Asylum and the movie Stand By Me both favorites in my adolescence. Then I start to wonder where these tracks start and stop geographically. How long have they been there and who laid them? I don't spend a grand amount of time looking at a piece analyzing the story behind it, rather little blurps run through my head, and then I move onto the next. If my photos do that for you, then I accomplished what I set out to do, and that is a gift (award) in itself.


Thanks for viewing. ;O)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.