Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Water for the soul


I do not know what year this Desoto is, but by the looks of its' exterior, it has seen a lot of fun! I can't help but wonder how many kids learned how to drive in this car, how many teenagers made out while at the drive-in movies, or how many miles of highway it traveled before it landed itself where it was parked.


My first car I owned was a black 1989 Chevy Beretta GT. But before then, there was the 1978 Ford LTD. It was silver with blue interior, and a hood that seemed a least 3 feet longer to look over then any other car I had driven in. For every bump you went over, you felt your stomach flutter, as it seemed as though all four wheels were off the ground and you were flying. This of coarse, was not my vehicle, but my BFF, Branon. He thought it was so dang cool that our friends and myself thought this was the neatest car ever. I was just tickled pink that he let me drive this beast.


I can still remember cruising up and down So. Washington Street on my birthday while Metallica's Ride The Lighting cassette played in the deck. And feeling quite bummed when he parked the Silver Bullet at his grandmother's farm and started driving a gas saver Toyota. But not before this load of metal and steel beat my Beretta in a race. Amy and I thought fore sure we left Branon and Patrick in the dust (we saw them behind us!) yet, when we smugly drove into the farm's driveway thinking we had won, there he sat on the hood like he had been there for hours.


Sadly, Branon was killed on Father's Day in 1994. But memories like that are like a saying I saw today: Water for the soul. Until we met again. xoxo



1 comment:

  1. I remember when we were perched atop that car, legs dangling down over the windshield, holding hands and using our free hands to grasp (or cling for dear life - whichever) to the gap in the windows on either side of us as we leaned into the wind and he drove us down that gravel road at like.. four thousand miles per hour! That is the good stuff... and I miss him like mad :)
    Good Things~

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.